Skip to content
● Grav 2.2 is out: 2x faster cold starts and 96% less memory on big sites. Read the announcement →

Site stopped working overnight - 'not writeable' error

Solved by nwhitfield View solution

Started by nwhitfield 3 days ago · 2 replies · 73 views
3 days ago

I'm running 2.2.5 and yesterday, I had a site that was working just fine.

This morning, the admin page I left open in my browser was prompting me to sign in again. And when I tried, I got the 'Grav Problems' page telling me there are problems with 8 required folders: cache, logs, tmp, backup, images, assets user/accounts and user/data

All are declared 'exists but not writeable'

The webserver is Apache, with php 8.5, running under user/group www-data. All the directories have 775 permissions.

And yet, I just can't get this error to go away. I'm absolutely mystified as to what could have happened overnight - the only thing that runs from cron is a task that backs up to rsync.net.

Nigel.

3 days ago Solution

Well, I spent half a day tearing my hair out, restoring from backups, and having the same error, even though bin/plugin problems check told me all was ok.

In the end, I swapped the standard php module for php-fpm, and it's working again. Still none the wiser, but that may at least help someone else.

3 days ago

Please don't post your question in more than one forum (cross-posting). In each forum, people will be spending time and effort to answer the question and in the end, the time and effort in all but one will be wasted.

Instead, choose the best channel and wait a few days. Then post in another place. Provide links between each forum and repost the answer (link) in each location.

Suggested topics

Topic Participants Replies Views Activity
Support · by webmasterodp, 2 days ago
4 66 14 hours ago
Support · by stell, 2 weeks ago
5 319 6 days ago
Support · by gravinator, 1 month ago
5 512 6 days ago
Support · by Gravver, 2 weeks ago
6 323 2 weeks ago
Support · by Marcel, 1 month ago
2 372 2 weeks ago